10.10.2006

Rat Race

09.12.2006
16:08
Ofc.

Just when I was prepping up to start applying in other companies, my current employer decides to give us the regularization we’ve been waiting for 5 loooooooooooooong years!

At the start of the year, HR told me that my contract renewal along with a measly increase in compensation will be delayed for at least three months in line with higher management’s decision of the no movement (um, let’s say) policy within the company, I was crushed. At that point, I felt like calling it quits. After considering my relationships, especially with Mojacko, I have decided to stay until the end of this year. Anyway, his contract will be ending by December too and we could leave the company the same time thus opening the possibility of applying overseas. So, the final decision was for me to sign my new contract with the adjustment in compensation but to haggle to keep the end of contract to the original agreement which is December 2006.

It took me sometime to convince myself that I need to get through one more year of what I deemed were small but injustices still. I knew that I would have to exert extra effort to go through my work so I created rewards, a look-forward-to list and other kinds of motivations. To make my day go faster (to cheat time..) I made a count down chart. I listed all the months from January to December and the days with their corresponding how-many-days-before by the end of each day, I’d cross the cell out; by the end of each month, I’d cut out that column. I posted it on the side of my cubicle in spite of the 5S implementation. It served as a reminder that I’d get to my destination one day at a time… when I was pissed off with a client, I’d just look at that reminder and tell myself that… “It’s just another day closer to my day of redemption!” And so... the days passed and very quickly indeed. Before I knew it, half of the year has already gone by! Yey!

I started to update my resume. Mojacko and I started to talk about our prospects. Ms. U and Kuya, they’re my co-contractual employees since 5 years back, we’ve set up a series of “learning sessions” every Saturday wherein each of us would be discussing the sub-modules that we’re currently assigned so that we could have even a glimpse of the other sub-modules, that way we could increase our “market value”. We were also scouting possible companies that we could apply in. We deemed that application time would be around 2 to 3 months therefore; we should start applying by Aug. or Sept. and so comes the dilemma with regards to my very first statement.

(Today is 09.21.2006 11:37 ofc)
I had to postpone the whole entry since I attended to other matters first…. I continue to write:

As I write this, I am already out of the dilemma. Let me back track a bit… what’s the dilemma in the first place? Okay, as I’ve said I have really psyched myself to be moving on to another company towards the end of the year for possibly greener pastures. Two years ago, I’ve been offered twice my current basic salary by a rival company. I was so tempted but begged off out of fear that I might not be able to meet the demands of a new project. Given that, I felt that I’d be able to haggle for a better offer this time now that I am more experienced. Plus, my stay here has generally been tough. I felt that there has been great injustice by the company towards its employees.

(Today is 10.10.2006 17:33 ofc )
I have decided to make this a series of entries… it’s practically impossible for me to finish this in one sitting as persistent callers evolve to pestering callers… I promise… this ought to be a worthwhile read.

No comments: