7.02.2006

Gracious in Defeat


(Picture taken from the official site of Fifa World Cup 2006 website (fifaworldcup.com) with the following quote: Brazil's Ronaldo reacts to his team's loss to France after their World Cup 2006 quarter-final soccer match in Frankfurt July 1, 2006.)

Yes, you've got that right, World Cup 2002 champs were booted out of WC 2006 after France scored 1 - 0 July 1, 2006, 22:00 at Frankfurt, Germany
(that's July 2, 2006 at 02:00 MLA).

I, being a Brazilian by heart couldn't believe it! I stood inside the Blue Eagle Gym this morning fazed at what just happened while fans of both teams, on screen and inside the gym, all in uproar at the match's outcome. Really, I didn't expect Brazil to exit this early... a few hours back, I had my hopes soaring for the championship match next week; I just bought my Brazil jersey inspite my tight budget; I rummaged through all the cabinets at home to look for my Brazil bandana from WC 2004; my dad and I were texting as to where we'll be watching, if we'd book a hotel or reserve seats in ADMU; Mojacko and I were even analyzing which team would be the best bet to compete with Brazil for the finals... and then this?

In fairness to France, they did play a great game. Their defense held no matter how threatening Brazil's attackers posed on them. It was a well deserved victory. As for Brazil, the usual perfect precision in dribbling and passing didn't prove to be as perfect as expected. They worked hard, played hard but in the end, it still boils down to who managed to make a goal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Everyone in football world knows how great Brazil as a team is. They're known for precision passing, speed, great defences, fierce attacks and all those ingredients that lead to numerous titles and records they're accounted for. They have record breaking players such as their striker, the all too famous and love of my life (well, next to Mojacko, ofcourse) Ronaldo who now holds the record for the most number of goals in WC history, the long time captain, Mr. Smiling face, Cafu, who has lead the team in 2 World Cup Championship titles, the ultimate mid-fielder and not-to-mention highly payed Ronaldinho are just a few in their roster... but you know what makes this team ultimate than ever? I think it's their attitude towards the game. I can't help but be amazed at their disicpline, passion and respect for football ... in winning and most of all in losing.

Want to get a drift of what I'm saying? Visit the players' quotes and coaches' quotes page of FifaWorldCup.Yahoo.Com... It makes all my blabber in Brazil's lost shameful...

In Brazil's lost... my World Cup 2006 ends but in it, I found new respect and admiration in the team that has forever instilled in me the true meaning of Football.







No comments: