7.10.2008

Walk With Me

at the Rockwell Tent during the Make Your Own Havaianas '08 event
06.25.2008
00:15
My room

Slippers days…
My fetish for slippers started way, way back (ask my soccer team mates, they know). I have always loved wearing them because they’re so comfortable. My feet are claustrophobic… they’re under therapy(due to office regulations) but they’d always rejoice at the presence of slippers! Hehe! Back then, my slippers were more of “kikay”. It would seemingly be ironic to find me in the field with my mud covered spikes dribbling, juggling and hard-core kicking while my flower embellished or bead studded slippers patiently waiting, laid-back under the shade of the kiosk, resting on top of my duffel. Slippers have been a wonderful part of my wardrobe. Don’t get me wrong, I love wearing shoes but it doesn’t give me the 100% comfort that slippers give. I had slippers from all over, high ones, flat ones, made out of rubber, made out of abaca, branded, tiangge bought, bright ones, neutral colored, embellished, transparent, with laces, with clips, name it… Really, it doesn’t matter where I purchase them. To me, it’s how they feel, they look and they exude the “me”-ness that matters.

A whole new world…
In 2005, when my favourite pair of slippers (purchased from EDC which was a perfect match to my tankini and bag) had to retire from all the beach frolicking, asphalt pacing, mall strolling… (you get the point). I decided to buy my first Havaianas. I found it expensive during those days but I wanted to make an investment since I needed a pair that could survive the next few months of summer and post summer adventure. I couldn’t remember where I bought my first pair. All I remember was out of all the designs (there were a couple) I fell in love with a light blue (not the baby blue kind) pair. It’s straps were white and it had white stencil-like flower patterns printed on it. I so wanted it but the sales lady had to convince me that the print wasn’t going to wear out right away and the straps won’t snap and the rubber is a different kind of rubber… in the end, I parted ways with my 800php and hoped that the words of the sales lady will hold true.

My new flip flops measured beyond expectations. They were the most comfortable pair I’ve ever worn in any terrain! Ares bought a pair as well and he loved it just the same. We brought our pairs everywhere and it didn’t disappoint us. After six months of hard work, the print was still there, the soles were intact and the comfort was still unparalleled! (Overkill for a pair of flip flops? You have to experience it to understand). The only problem I had was that I had trouble pairing it with my other non-blue-complimentary-colored outfits. I then bought my second pair. It was a white Joy, the one with flowers. It was different since it was more versatile (being neutrally colored) and I loved that it wasn’t so flat since it was a mid. I must say that when Havaianas High came out, my first pair was still intact, rubber, strap and print and it just gave a whole new meaning to flip flops! So, even though High cost more, I immediately got one… and there were 3.

Only a memory…
Unfortunately, along with my High, a new puppy was brought to our lives. It was an energetic, attention-grabbing mini-daushund who I regret not befriending early on. Used to our lazy unconcerned shitzu, I am used to just leaving my things lying around and coming back after a few hours with my stuff still intact. Now this new puppy was into his teething stage.. and you get what happened next. When I came home one evening from work, I was shocked to see my blue pair sole intact without the strap. I was crushed! I am not exaggerating… I hated that darn dog. My favourite pair, my first Havaianas which withstood all terrain… gone! From then on, the door to my room was shut to that dog and to the owner (my sister). But, that wasn’t the end. Somehow, she got to my Joy and chewed of a small part of the strap of the left slipper. I thought I’d be able to kick that dog as if it were the penalty shot of my life but I didn’t. My anger turned into sympathy when I saw the fate of my sisters pair… it was… let’s just say Hyatt in Baguio during the 1993 earthquake. Seeing how sad I was, Ice, our maid, took the initiative to sew the chewed off part with a white thread. It was amazing how became re-usable again only to be chewed off some more after we thought that Pang’s (the mini-Havaianas-eating-daushund) teething days were over. I was able to save my High from Pang’s hellish fangs but it was to suffer a different fate. One time, my foot kind of twisted such that my ankle touched the floor and I had to hold on to something to prevent me from tumbling, I guess my weight was too much for the strap that it snapped right in the joint. This time, Ice had trouble connecting it and after a few failed attempts, I accepted its fate.

The rainbow after the storm..
During those terrible Havaianas times, I was able to purchase some other pairs. Some were from a different brand but I found myself loving the pairs that came from Havaianas that I developed a bias for them. They were coming out with so many designs and so many colors that it was panicking at times.. hahaha! I have different stories for each pair. End point, I love them all. I don’t purchase them for myself alone, I guess I’ve come to really like them to give them out as gifts (to share the comfort and trendiness, so to speak).

The Roster
1 Pink Ipe - thanks Tito Jojo (my only pair(yet) straight from Brazil)
1 Lmtd. Silver Crystal Top - ATC
1 Lmtd. Purple Metallic Logo - ATC thanks bei
2 High (Orange, Brown) - Paseo de Sta. Rosa
1 Black Top - thanks Bei (he has his pair too) Trinoma
1 Gold Flash - Greenbelt 5
1 Lmtd. Chiso Marino - thanks Bei (he has his pair too) Glorietta 4
2 Create Your Own (red, blue) - Rockwell Tent (this one’s from my baby too)


My sister thinks I’m addicted… I think I am. It’s my new collection… and I love it!




No comments: